What is ISO 14001?
In a nutshell, ISO 14001 specifies the requirements for any organization to be able to claim that they have an environmental management system that conforms to a globally recognized international standard. The 2015 revision of the standard has a high level structure almost identical to ISO 9001 which makes it easy and desirable to integrate environmental and quality policies, objectives and processes into one management system.
What are the benefits to conformance or certification to the ISO 14001 standard?
- An organization can increase its control over its impact on the environment though responsible corporate stewardship.
- Corporate image and credibility as a green organization is enhanced by publishing an assertion of conformance to ISO 14001 or, better, certification of conformance by an accredited third party certification body.
- Customer satisfaction within the supply chain is increased through greater confidence in the organization's environmental management system
- Legal & regulatory awareness and compliance is enhanced throughout the organization
- Risk of noncompliance with environmental laws and regulations is reduced
- By developing a green and lean culture an organization regularly seeks to identify new opportunities for cost savings through green efficiencies, e.g. energy & water, raw material and waste disposal
- Formal risk management enhances the organization's physical & financial protection against environmental mishaps
- By combining with ISO 9001 there is increased management control through a single integrated & holistic quality and environmental management system
- There is increased staff awareness and involvement in care of the environment
- Last, but definitely not least, the organization contributes to a better environment locally, regionally and globally
If you would like to know more, I would love to hear from you. CONTACT ME HERE.